Monday, October 19, 2009

The View from My House

Hey mom!

Here is a picture of the view from my house in Vlorë. It’s been a super rainy week though so it’s probably not the best picture. As soon as the sun decides to come out again I’ll try to get a better one for ya.

So Cameron is almost gone. That is so cool. Do you even realize how cool that is?!! Eight – EIGHT – of my best friends are all going to be serving at the same time. That’s definitely a rare opportunity to have that kind of friendship. Speaking of friends, have you heard anything about Mason? How’s he doing? I wrote him back, but I haven’t gotten anything back from him. So tell Cameron that I am so stoked for him and tell him that this means I’m going to have six months before he gets back to get back my ping pong skills so I can destroy him. =) He really is going to do awesome. When you get his address, let me know.

I’m glad you guys had fun at the lodge! And holy cow it sounds like it was pretty good fishing! In your picture, you both look a little burned. Did ya get a little sun? That’s cool though. How long did you stay up there again?


Vlorë is way awesome. It’s been pretty cold actually ha ha. It’s funny how much the weather can change from one rainstorm. It was nice and sunny and warm enough to not wear our jackets like 3 or four days ago and then it rained during the night and the next day it was winter. Seriously. Now we wear our jackets and a sweater even in the morning. But I’ve been having a really good time so far. Things are going. . . .well I don’t really know with Nënë Lavdie. I think we might have scared her a little last time. We did a pretty heavy lesson on baptism and she might not have been ready for that. We haven’t been able to meet her this week because I guess one of her friends died and so she was over in some other town. But we should be meeting her tomorrow or Wednesday so we’ll see how that goes. She is such a nice lady though and hopefully we can get to teach her a little more and let her feel the spirit a little more before we scare her away.


We also have been teaching a couple xhaxhis that are pretty good. One’s name is Theodhuraq and the other is Fejim. It’s so funny because Fejim is this like 60 year old guy and he’s not the brightest guy in the world, but he always has a smile on his face. Theodhuraq is a little bit quicker on the pickup so when we’re teaching and Fejim doesn’t get something, Theodhuraq will be like, “Oh my heck you’re being so stupid right now! It’s like this!” And then he’ll try to explain it to him. They are just so funny together. They actually came to church yesterday which was really exciting and we’re meeting them again on Wednesday. We’re going to be teaching them about the Plan of Salvation.


Oh ha ha funny thing real quick. We were street contacting last night and a Croatian sailor came up to us and we started talking and he asked us which faith we represented. I said that we’re from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but some people call us the “Mormons.” And he was like, “Oh! The Mormons! They’re a very traditional people, aren’t they?” And we were pretty confused about what he meant and so we tried to figure out what he meant. Elder Garn finally came to the conclusion that he meant conservative and we settled on that until he finally said the thing that gave it away. After a while, he said, “So you still use horses and buggies and stuff, eh?” Needless to say, I laughed a little and replied, “No, that’s actually a religion called Amish.” And so we got to clear up some stuff about how we didn’t practice polygamy (do the Amish even practice polygamy still?), and about how we, in fact, do use electricity. Ha ha funny stuff.


Well I gotta go e-mail Lindsey so I’ll talk to you next week! Love you, mom!


-Elder Swenson

No comments:

Post a Comment