Monday, September 20, 2010

I got to baptize Erodita

Hey Mom!

This week wasn't super eventful all in all. Okay well actually let me take that back. There were some pretty good stories from it. The first of all being that I got to baptize Erodita. It was awesome. She is going to be an incredible member of the church. It was an interesting situation, though, because about three weeks before the baptism she went through a terrifying experience swimming in the sea. She was very shaken up about it and understandably it was a hard thing for her to be in the water again a couple weeks later. But she made it out. I was afraid she thought I was trying to drown her though cause she came out of the water and took a huge gasp for air like she hadn't been breathing for a minute. She was just a little bit nervous I'd imagine. But it went well and the next day she came to English course and told us that she didn't even feel like she weighed anything cause she felt so light after her baptism. I told her that was great and that I was happy for her. I told her I wished I felt the same way, but our diet was pretty interesting that week and so I was definitely feeling by body weight. ;) Anyway, I was really glad I got to take part in that.

As for the update with Vasil, he will be getting baptized on Sunday. He got back too late from his fshat (village) to baptize him this week, but we'll get him in there this week. We don't know who's baptizing him yet. He wants one of us to do it, but we're going to try to get him to choose Brother Saraçi, his good friend and the one who referred him to us. But we'll see how things go. I'll send you some pics!

As for Azgan. We're meeting with him tonight so we can drop him. We've been doing everything we can for him to start turning his life around, but he also has to do his part. And he hasn't been doing that. We taught him about the Word of Wisdom Saturday night and he has a lot of work to do in that aspect. So we agreed to start the Stop Smoking Program the next day after church. He didn't come to church. So we went over to his house ready for him to become a non-smoker, but apparently he wasn't. It's kind of a long story, but he just doesn't have the courage to stop all at once. But that's the only way it can happen. He kept saying stuff like, “Yeah, this will be good. I mean if I quit that would be awesome, but at least I'll reduce the amount that I smoke.” I just had a really bad feeling about continuing with the program and so we decided to stop before we got too far. He said he wasn't ready to quit yet. It's really frustrating because he says over and over again that he knows he's killing himself. His health is completely in shambles and yet he'll decide to wait to stop doing that to himself. He said that we can try it again after October 7th, but it's not going to be any easier then. It's frustrating, but he doesn't do anything without our help. So we're going to read from D&C 58 with him tonight and hopefully someday he'll realize that he has to do his part.

I've got to tell you about Sunday night. =) Ha ha it was probably the most frustrating night of my mission. But it ended well. So there's this thing called patience and me and Elder Foulk both have some. But, Sunday night the little patience that we do have was pushed to the extreme. There was seriously a moment where we were both just pacing back and forth in the stairwell just trying not to blow up. Seriously I haven't been so aggravated in a long time. BUT! We kept going and finally we knocked a door and a man named Sefer let us in. He was from a city called Puka so he had a legit northern accent. We had a pretty good first lesson with him, but nothing really came out of it. But we had been trying really hard to get in so we could teach somebody and after many many many trials, came the blessings. Man I rock at telling stories, eh?

So that's pretty much it for this week. Oh, except for we took the entire day yesterday and went to Theth with President Neil. It was probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen on earth. I fell in a river. Awesome. That is something that of course only Elder Swenson would do. You'll get some sweet pics. I took a couple pictures of literally the most breathtaking view I have ever seen in my entire life. Wish y'all could have been there with me.

So now there is seriously nothing else. ;) We're coming up on a busy week so hopefully I'll have lots to write you about next week.

Love you!

-Elder Swenson

No comments:

Post a Comment