Monday, May 11, 2009

Two weeks!

Hey Dad!

Yep! It's been two weeks already. So just think only 102 more to go ha ha. But things are going really great. I'm having more fun than I thought I would have. I struggle teaching, but hopefully I'm getting better. The thing is that I can teach people who aren't "beginners". Like for instance, when I taught piano, I could teach the kids who weren't just starting out really well, but with the beginners I wasn't as good. It's kinda the same thing with investigators. I'm not very good at just making everything the simplest it can be. But hopefully I'm getting better and I know the Lord will help me if I try my best.

So about the language. It's funny because Albanian isn't similar to any other language. There are latin languages, slavic languages, and like a bunch of other languages that all have the same root, but Albanian is it's own language. It's kind of a cool language though and I'm learning how to teach the first lesson already. I can put very basic sentences together, but they still take me a little while to think of. It's fun though and I think it's going to be so cool when I can speak and write a completely different language. We're teaching the first lesson in the TRC (Teaching Resource Center) tomorrow and it's going to be horrible! It seriously takes me and Motra Bentley like a minute or two to form a sentence and we're teaching in Albanian tomorrow! Ha ha so we're definitely gonna get worked tomorrow, but it's all good.

So that's basically the story. I've definitely got my work cut out for me, but I'm giving it my best shot and having fun doing it. I hope everything is going well at home. I hope it's not too strange without me. =) But I'm sure you guys will get used to it in no time. I love you dad and I hope you have a great week! Hope to hear from you soon!Love you!

-Elder Erik Swenson


Hey Mom!

Holy cow I've got a lot to write and not a lot of time to do it. How are things going? How is the family? Have you guys started working outside yet? This last week has been absolutely beautiful! It's crazy! Oh and about that albanian sentence. It was supposed to say I am grateful to be a missionary so I think I made a couple mistakes, but it was close! So things are still going really well. The MTC is a great place. I guess I wouldn't really like to stay here for 12 weeks, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I'll live. Ha ha Hey you are freaking awesome for going to the temple every week! Keep it up! YOU WILL BE BLESSED. I promise. I went to the temple today and let me tell you, we missionaries definitely need our temple visit each week. It's just so peaceful and calm and it really helps us out. It's a great place. That is way cool that they have a new YM Presidency. I'm sure they'll do a great job even though they have a lot to live up to. Tell Bro. Webb that I appreciate everything he has done for the young men of the ward. He was an awesome guy and he definitely gave it all he had. He taught us all a lot.

So this week I actually had some really cool experiences. And they weren't even like huge things, but they were big to me. I'll just tell you one. I've set a goal to memorize 3 scriptures each day while I'm at the MTC (which is proving to be dang impossible!). So the other day I was memorizing the first vision and I was just saying it over and over and over again. And as I was saying it one time, the spirit just crashed into me and confirmed completely that what I was reciting was true. Joseph Smith saw God and Jesus Christ and restored the whole truth to the earth. I know that. It was a great experience.

So I will just e-mail you my testimony for the guys, okay? here goes.

I know this gospel has been restored. I know that Joseph Smith prayed and saw our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know he was called as a prophet in these latter days and executed that calling with more faith than any other. I know the Book of Mormon is true. It really does have the answers to any question we need answered. I love being able to wake up every morning and study. I learn so much from those words. I know that we can repent and become clean. I know that Christ, our Savior, died for us. I know that he had such selfless love as to lay down his life for all of our short comings. I love my Savior. I always will.

Love you mom! I've got to e-mail Lindsey now! See ya!

-Elder Erik Swenson

No comments:

Post a Comment